Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Monday, November 28, 2005

To Double Fine Productions: Grandma Loves You!!

Grandma received a package today from Double Fine Productions, only it wasn't just any package. It was an extraordinary, very sweet present to Grandma.

Grandma and I celebrated a bit, as you can see. (Double Fine didn't send us the Vodka, before you write letters.)

They did, however, send Grandma "the motherload" as they say.

Grandma is sporting a cool, gangsta style Double Fine hoodie, complete with the two headed logo, and oh is it nice. I don't mean "the-thought-that-counts" nice, I mean Grandma is basking in its warm, snuggly goodness. It is a functional piece of apparel that will heat Grandma's days in the cold Cleveland weather. It has quickly become Grandma's favorite shirt.


Scott C. sent Grandma this excellent caricature of herself, surrounded by her Psychonaut friends. Scott, this shall be framed so all those who enter Grandma's game room shall be greeted with its elegance. No shit, man- Grandma LOVES the illustration. It's absolutely beautiful.

Mark Hammer made this in Double Fine's Action Comics!! Thank you Mark. Grandma is hereby immortalized.


Then came the final piece; the document that made Grandma's day. Tim Schafer and the whole Double Fine team made Grandma a signature book of cartoons and character studies from Psychonauts in a very personal way of saying "thank you for playing" one million times over. The folder is filled with personal notes to Grandma. I would scan every page and show you all, but to Grandma- this is, understandably, a private and intensely special artifact of sorts that was made just for her. It means that much.

She will treasure it always.

Usually I can come up with some smartass or witty post, but today I am at a complete loss for words. So I'll say this:

Double Fine Productions, you did a lot more than make Grandma smile today- you gave her tears of absolute bliss.

Game on, everybody.

12 Comments:

  • At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am SO jealous!!!!

    - Mama Lombax

     
  • At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's so awesome and beautiful!

    AWWWW!

    ::dies from the cute::

    -A!

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh
    My
    GOD!!!

    First, that has to be the BEST present I have ever heard of. And I mean, in the history of gift giving, this is THE best!

    Second, I am SO jealous! I have the biggest crush on Tim Schafer and I think he and his entire team is brilliant and..I am jealous.

    Enjoy it Grandma! You deserve it!!!

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Chrissylas said…

    Yeah I beat Psychonauts too and I didn't get a gift pack! That's no small feat either... I have actually finished about 15 games in my entire life. I generally get to the last dungeon and quit for some godforsaken idiot reason.

    Very cool, Grandma. Enjoy that hoodie goodness.

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Collin said…

    That is awesome! So she won't even share a page or two?

    Have you seen this list?
    http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000770069581/

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Collin said…

    Specifically, the #1 spot on the list.

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Man, it has been a long ass time since I've been able to read the blog! I just caught up on the last two weeks of posts that I missed due to day-before-Thansgiving surgery and evil college homework. Anyways, congats on all the extra worldwide and domestic publicity (as if she dont deserve it!) and hopefully T-shirts soon become available. I agree with 'eh not so much' that the picture is without a doubt the coolest one of Grandma so far. Have a drink for me... or multiple drinks, whatever lol.

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Look what I found Granny!

    http://www.wimp.com/grannygamer/

    The popularity.. she is spreading.

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tears of absolute bliss? That's always good to see in someone's entry.

    God bless.

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello grandma!

    I'm from the Netherlands, and I think you are great!

    I wish you many years of gaming-pleasure in the future.

    By the way, I've got a x-box.

    you rule!

    greetings, Tijs

    http://spaces.msn.com/members/salvatoredome

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello!!!I'm from galicia,in the north-west coast of spain...
    I read that you play videgames real good,it's cool!!!My grandma can only turn on nd turn off the tv and she can do anymore so it's incredible for me to know your ability with games...
    Nothing more...

    Kisses,

    Ana

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes We beat Psychonauts way too i decided not to D3 Goldreceive a gift load up! That is virtually no little task either... I've basically concluded concerning 20 video games inside my complete life. I actually commonly get right to the previous dungeon and alsoGW2 gold cease for most godforsaken tech-leery cause.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home