Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

GOD, What A Day! Radio Interviews, Cookies From Annie, Advent Children From Shawn, CBS Video From Alex, Happy Goddamn Thanksgiving!

A snowstorm pounded the roads around Cleveland today, causing accidents, fender benders, appointments missed, lives changed, and windshield wipers to cringe in futility. All the while Grandma and I were having quite a time getting ready for Thanksgiving, while simultaneously rocking the controllers and enjoying some cool shit.

Here's what went down.

We woke up this morning to phone calls from several radio producers who were relieved to find their search for Old Grandma Hardcore her-own-self had come to an end; our extended family more or less the only possessors of the St. Hilaire name around Cleveland. Grandma happily gave short interviews to folks in Washington and California. To all those who heard us- cool! Let us know! Shoot me an e-mail so I can tell the world you found us via the mysterious powers of electromagnetic waves and copper coils hooked to magnets. I still find that shit amazing.

Annie, the artist behind I'm Blue, sent Grandma and the family a package that arrived today, complete with two, kick-ass t-shirts from BlizzCon and some delicious cookies. Here's a picture of Grandma and I adorning our new threads while we all furiously hold up our cookies in defiance of those who would dare oppose the crunchy yet chocolaty goodness:



I don't know why Bobby and Barbie are leaning down like that. I guess it's just something people DO in photos now. Our lunatic dog Charlie has a cameo trying to eat a cookie.

Shawn Jones from Windsor, Ontario somehow figured out a way to hurl a DVD across Lake Erie and have it land in our mailbox. That DVD my friends, is none other than Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Grandma and I watched it today using the Playstation 2 (because, dammit; WE CAN!) and it was truly beautiful. There is so much more to say I'll leave that for a post this weekend for a full on Grandma review but the bottom line is if you are a fan or were a fan or know a fan of Final Fantasy VII- this movie is worth a purchase. It was made by Square Enix, not some company interpreting the Final Fantasy universe into something grotesque, rather made more epic by the very hands which sculpted it. It was QUITE a ride.

For those of you who can't watch the video of Grandma's debut on CBS Evening News on their website, Alex captured it for all y'all in QuickTime format (including Bob Schieffer's awesome segue and sign off). As soon as I make sure CBS won't sue me, I'll put it up on Putfile or somewhere so you guys can check it out.

Tomorrow, here in The States, it's Thanksgiving. That means Turkey, Alcohol, and Grandma's Stuffing, all in remembrance of our theft of a large chunk of the North American continent from those who inhabited it. Whatever its dubious beginnings, it's still a good excuse for the family to get together and yell at each other in a harmless "Yeawhh, Ah' still LOVES ya" sort of way and game away time others find better spent on watching football.

So from all of us at OGHC, happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Game on!

9 Comments:

  • At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lucky you, getting advent children so early...
    it doesn't come out here (i come from a land down under, where women laugh and men plunder) till Febuary some time. course, i've still got a copy, it's just Japanese only, no English. subtitles a bit dodgy in places, too..."A man! Cloud-san's a man!" being my favourite line...

    also, thanks for the CBS thing-i can now see Grandma in all her glory!

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Grandma ...from Robert M. in sunny, warm Southern CA. ...just saw the bit on you on MTV.Overdrive and I have to say how truely impressed I am by seeing you play as much as you do ...there's not many of us "RELIC" gamers around but we are here and glad that you were the one that was EXPOSED to the world that we exist ...I too, have fallen asleep at the controller and I too, get called for dinner and not realize how much time has passed until my 16 yr old son comes in to say goodnight at 11pm ...my son Ryan and I play PC and Xbox games ...we also have 2 Xbox live accounts so that we can play online at the same time which is pretty much all the time ...I recently purchased a PSP because I travel and now with WiFi and a Internet Browser on the PSP ...I dont lose too much down time from being online or from playing my favorite games ...I saw that you were asked and you gladly accepted to give reviews on the NEW Xbox 360 ...I have to admit I had tears in my eyes as I watched and thought how friggen awesome is that? ...you're so LUCKY!!! ...and I envy you and I'm a lil' jealous too ...BUT I was wondering if you needed a new SON from So CA. that enjoys gaming as much as you? ...let me know ...Have an AWESOME Thanksgiving weekend and "KEEP ON GAMING GRANDMA"

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh and Timothy ...you even more AWESOME for doing this Blog on your Grandma ....there's nothing more important in life than family ...and if your Grandma is still around ...love and learn as much as possible from her before she leaves this life ...keep up the great work ...Robert

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Shawn Jones said…

    Happy Thanksgiving Tim! I'm glad to see the video finally arrived. Make sure to watch after the first flurry of credits that come up because there is a second set that has full motion video that is unbelievable. I'm hoping this is a sneek peak at the way FF will look on the PS3 and if so it's so close to lifelike it's incredible.
    Again, thanks for the laughs and Game On!

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yaaaaay! Happy Thanksgiving, OGHC & family, and I'm so glad you got the shirts and the cookies speedily and in good condition. Hope you guys have had a wonderful holiday, and are enjoying holiday gaming (I myself am enjoying my in-laws well-won Xbox 360, and cursing madly at Kameo). Many hugs and best wishes to you and yours (and additional ones from my friends and in-laws, whom I've newly recruited to the Sacred Order of OGHC Fans ::grin::), take care, be well, and GAME ON! ::hug::

    -A!

     
  • At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi!
    Just wondered why you haven't been joking about this already. Jack Thompson has lost the right to practice law in Alabama. Read about it on Boing-boing.

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Grandma, You OWN! So Wish I could play you...

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haha. My grandma plays video games, too. She OWNS at Grand Theft Auto and Pac-man... but whoever this lady is, she is awesome. Guess there is no age limit on games, eh?

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Satisfied Christmas Bob! I'm thankful to view it ultimately showed up.D3 Items Ensure that you check out following your very first many different kind connected with 'tokens' that come upward nevertheless there is a second collection that has total motion movie that's astounding. I'm hoping this is the sneek optimum in the method FF will appear around the Playstation 3 slim and if so Guild Wars 2 Itemsit's so close to lifelike it's extraordinary.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home