Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

CBS Evening News Segment On Grandma Also Available Online

If you missed it yesterday or if you're one of our many international readers, it's all good- CBS has the full video up.

The piece turned out great! Grandma was a bit unhappy that her national television debut featured a rare loss to yours truly at a round of Outlaw Golf 2. "That's journalism, though! They can't LIE!" I said, trying to console the half evil grin she shot may way.
"Yeah, they can't lie- BUT YOU COULD HAVE LET ME WIN!! You saw I was nervous. Fucker."
"Nah, they would have seen right through that. Besides, you did beat me in the next round. And you DID beat Richard Schlessinger at Time Crisis 2 or some such thing at the bowling alley."
"Then why did they show THAT one?!"

Our house last night was covered with snow for the first time this season, so it was a sharp contrast to the lush green garden bungalow you see in the segment. I just noticed also that Grandma was wearing the Lunar 2 t-shirt Vic Ireland with Working Designs sent over under her jacket. Also, if you pause the video at 0:16, you can just make out the names of the characters fighting Sephiroth in FFVII: "Crackhead, Dude, and Kitty."

After the segment aired on the East Coast and worked its way across the country, our phone kept ringing with family and friends of family asking Grandma how it felt to make Bob Schieffer laugh. On the full news program on air, Bob looks into the camera after the segment and says: "She doesn't look that old to ME..."

It was interesting to see the spike of traffic every 30 minutes for 4 hours as people turned to Google, MSN, and Yahoo to find out more about the woman. Every search was Old Grandma Hardcore, Gaming Grandma, Gamer Grandma, Video Game Grandma, Grandma Likes XBox CBS, MTV G-Hole Grandma, and "Barbara St. Hilaire." The article on CBS Evening News is more or less a transcript of the piece; you'll find the video just to the right and down a bit.

So... NOW lets see what happens!

Game on!

12 Comments:

  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Chrissylas said…

    Go grandma! You guys are awesome and I can't tell you how happy I am for you both. It's great to see gaming portrayed in the media outside of the "games are satan's own influence in the world" stand we hear so often. Speaking of... did anyone see that absolutely deplorable CSI: Miami episode on Monday? It was absolutely painful to witness.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great interview yestersday. I didn't know about "Grandma" until I watched CBS yestersday. Happy Thanksgiving, Grandma and to the rest of the family. Oh yes, I am also looking forward to your MTV game review.

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Collin said…

    I can't seem to get the video to load.

    Unrelated news, seen this?

    http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/22/antigame_lawyer_lose.html

    Good start.

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow!

    That is SO cool!

    You guys both looked great. Hang on and enjoy the ride and remember I knew you when :)

    - Mama Lombax

     
  • At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I cannot begin to stress how incredibly awesome you are!!! We need to start a donation to get her Xbox Live, or get her PS2 online. It'd Be so awesome to hear her call everyone n00bs online!

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim! you're hot! I don't know why I'm surprised, but I've been picturing way less hottie-ness behind the hilaire-ity.

     
  • At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awesome TV spot, Grandma! Lots of congrats for the wonderful star you've become just for being who you are. Don't change!

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Saw this the other day and meant to drop by. Just awesome!

    You're a role model for all us gamers Gram. I hope to continue rocking the joysticks like you when I get into my later years.

    Dutch
    www.thedigitalblast.com

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have 27 years old and and i prey to god if i reachead to 70 yaers i just what to be just like this lady to see the evoluction of video game and beat my gransons in everygame.im happy for this happy family.thanks.`{portugal]

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello!im from portugal too,im 51 years hold ,im from the time of space invaders and kung fu mastes .im play whith my gransuns and my suns too ,i just what too right my comment too all peaple to my time,if we have ability and intelegence too run this modern games we are just wining because i finish the metal guear solid in normal mode and almost finish the call of duty in pc of my sun and i say great for hou can play in are ages because this games are just espetaculers,just like a good book or movie .

     
  • At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Tai Chi uniform said…

  • At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fantastic cheap D3 itemsjob interview yestersday. I didnrrrt be familiar with "Grandma" right up until My partner and i viewed Cbs television studios yestersday. Happy The thanksgiving holiday, Grandma and to the remainder of the family. Ok, We are alsoGW2 items awaiting your current Vh1 game evaluate.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home