Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Creepy Shit or Shitty Camera?

Alright, some fairly spooky stuff happened today. Grandma was playing Fatal Frame 2: The Crimson Butterfly for around 10 hours straight. Before I went to sleep around 4:30am Eastern Time, I could still hear the game going strong. I put the camera on this afternoon while she was playing it so I could get some more clips for Video 7. She has really been into this game. I mean really into this game. She won't put it down. I used an older version of Adobe Premier like I usually do to capture the video because using Logitec's own software has created negative durations for the timecode of the clips; so it wouldn't import. I found using Adobe to be much more stable. Until this game. For one reason or another; a twenty minute clip captured a whole lot of game audio and a few frames of video. It hasn't done this before.

Here are the frames captured today of Grandma playing Fatal Frame 2:


Look, I'm not ignorant when it comes to photography. Photography is what I do for a living. I know what a capture malfunction looks like; I've seen this before with other cameras, It's what I get for using a $50 web cam to do the job. I never really invested in video; mostly still cameras- I have tons of them (except my good digital, I had to sell that.) I've always used other people's video equipment.

It's the nature of the game that creeped me out with this. I hadn't slept well for awhile; Grandma is getting into a PS2 game that requires one to photograph spirits, searching for them- looking at them- and capturing them with an antique camera (inaccurately named a Camera Obscura) that resembles very much a camera I have in my collection. (It looks sort of like a 1913 Kodak Bellows Camera, I'll post pictures later.) Then something like this happens.

Holy shit, man. It's very easy to scare yourself if you're in the mood. This experience has made this game that much more intriguing.

I have a new weapon against these "spirits" however; something I found tucked away in a drawer; something I bought awhile ago, but I assumed my family sold it while I was at Case Western to help me pay for bills and food.

It's a Canon Optura20 MiniDV Camcorder. The videos are about to get a whole lot nicer.

--Alright, I have to get back to things. I'm pretty sure this was a camera malfunction; but believe what you want, I don't have all the answers. I am going to have some very interesting nightmares in the coming week, that's all I can say. More coming soon!!--

13 Comments:

  • At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whoa, that's some pretty crazy stuff!

    I had my fair share of creepy experiences with Fatal Frame 1. The game was just so damn scary!

    Two was even worse!


    Can't wait for some more kick-ass footage, and this new video camera looks like they'll be worth the wait.

     
  • At 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have a good one

     
  • At 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay 4 new video. Hopefully less skips. Keep em up!

    *PS don't let the ghosts getcha..I'm rootin for you!*

     
  • At 6:57 AM, Blogger Brinstar said…

    Weeeirrrd!

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude,

    Just imagine what you would find if you cleared out the garage and all the closets. Any unwanted gaming items OGHC could sign and sell on ebay!

    - Mama Lombax

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh man! I love grandma! Thank you for sharing!...Kansas PC Gamer Granny

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger DY357LX said…

    What did OGHC say when you showed her what had happened ?

    *cue eerie music*

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger ~*angelle*~ said…

    I love Fatal Frame 2! I've been playing it off and on for a long time and still haven't finished it because I'm such a slacker and never manage to stick with it long enough.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Adobe Premiere is a great product, I use it all the time to make little videos. Let me know if you ever have any questions.

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger cara de cantina said…

    This grandma has the force of rottweilers because she likes to do a lot of things, it is amazing because If I play 4 or 5 hours I feel exhausted , but she ca play a lot of time!!

     
  • At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You will find D3 Gold wireless set federal express in places you connect your dualshock twine right into a field which in turn transmits to a different box and that is connected to the dsi. You mayGW2 gold need to take into account that.

     
  • At 2:44 AM, Anonymous FFXI GIL said…

    Can't wait for some more kick-ass footage, and this new video camera looks like they'll be worth the wait.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Anonymous EZ Flash IV said…

Post a Comment

<< Home