Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Grandma Has Destroyed Fatal Frame II: The Crimson Butterfly

I compiled what was left on the MiniDV tape to show Grandma’s final battle in Fatal Frame II: The Crimson Butterfly. After putting the distorted video through several filters in Adobe Premier; e-mailing the AVI files to other videophile friends to analyze; it was determined that only the audio would be salvageable, adding a spooky twist to our whole Fatal Frame nightmare.

Here y
ou go:


[MP3; 03:08; 1.47mb]

Even the audio started skipping out at the end; but we got some good stuff. Just think of it as a Podcast with a vulgar 69 year old woman.

Grandma’s final thought on Fatal Frame II was simple. She loved it. The flowing graphics with unique gameplay and fucking terrifying audio made it an extremely enjoyable experience! Every frustrating aspect of the game only made it more frightening; the girl you control never really runs that quickly, the doors open slowly, the music always cues something horrible to come. The only bad part was the price. For a used copy you still have to shell out $30.00US, but like Grandma says “It was worth every fucking penny.” Grandma played the original Fatal Frame and loved it. I never got into the series, thinking there was no way Tecmo, a company I associated with pretty good fighting games, could ever make a survival horror game to rival the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series. This was one of the many times Grandma found a great game before I did.

To give you an idea of the impact; this morning I woke up from a nightmare in which I found a crucified corpse screaming “KILL ME!!” while peering into a back room during holiday shopping, and the only thing I could think to do was take a picture with an antique camera.

Grandma’s response to the dream: “HA!! I TOLD you it was a fucking great game! I KNEW it! THAT’S what makes a great game. NIGHTMARES.”

--More on the way!! Thanks for the comments and e-mails everybody!--

--Update!! Hey! MetaFilter!! Rock on. Thanks for the love! Be sure to check out the videos on the right, cruise the archives and drop me a line if you have any questions!--

18 Comments:

  • At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Man... I never got to finish that game. Which Qalkthrough would you guys recommeNd for it?

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Best blog ever.

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger CtrlAltDelete said…

    the last guy was the hardest. It took her forever to finally get the six required Zero Shots. If the last guy touches her once, she dies, game over. The save spot is a bit of a distance from the end so it was extremely frustrating for Grandma.

    Victor- she used http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/915022.html
    when she got stuck; I think she printed parts of the "Mysticcat" guide and parts of the "Chozo" guide.

    I don't think we're the best blog ever; but thanks for the compliment, though :)

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I started Crimson Butterfly, but haven't finished it. Glad Grandma had a good time with it. I'll have to revisit it. BLOODRAYNE!! She needs to play BloodRayne.

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    Laughing loud enough that the whole office is coming by your desk to see why is not cool.

    You and Grandma are killing me here. I LOVE IT.

    Rock on!

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I approve, you should visit my site!

    www.gamefaqs.com

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what the fuck are you trying to said about this art?
    God bless us

     
  • At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WAY TO GO GRANDMA...congrats on beating it, that is a very dificult game

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger CtrlAltDelete said…

    O, cjayc- if that is really you.... :) how addicted Grandma is to the gamefaqs community.

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you really talking about a real grandma who can beat almost any game? Sorry but I have hard time to get the whole picture. My mom still plays those old games that my family bought over 15 years ago in China. She is 71 and plays much better than me. Guess she may be a new unbeatable grandma if she gets her hands on the new gaming systems.

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uh FATAL FRAME has been voted THE SCARIEST game ever of all beating REs EVIL and SILENT HIll, havent played Crimson Butterfly, but the first gave me the creeps enough, well done grandma, sleep well!

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    grandma needs to find somthin to do sept video games. she is how old and still plays. i have to say it is cool for a person that old to rule at video games. but what will come from it. if anything i bet she'll have a heart attack from a game one day. if im right.. whoa. scary but still. i crongrat grandma on her victory on video games.

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is the next game I want to try since Grandma liked it so much and it's creepy. I rented Silent Hill 3 and loved it, although my husband did most of the playing because I was too scared!

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't like reading blogs.. but this is interesting... Grandma is cool ^o^

    Fatal Frame is really very scary.. didnt get to finish the first one.. was 3/4 there but then I moved out of home and had to live alone..
    dont have the guts to finish it lol

    I congratulate Grandma for beating it...
    I would love to actually finish it too... T-T

     
  • At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have beaten all three fatal frame games so far at least twice. Every time I get the score of B. My only regret was my 3 year old got a hold of the fatal frame 111 and scratched the shit out of it to the point that it no longer plays any more, Every one of those games cost me @ $40.00 used from GAMESTOP store. when I asked the manager he said that fatal frame games are so rare that he knows that he will only have them in stock about one chance in hell, so he said he wants to milk the shit out of that money cow.

     
  • At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Adi said…

    Hello, This is my first time visiting here. Your blog is a nice,I thought I would leave my first comment. :)

    Greets from Adi,

    Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang

     
  • At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Tai Chi uniform said…

  • At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the very last Buy GW2 Gold gentleman ended up being construction. The idea needed the woman forever to help ultimately get the six to eight required Zero Shots. If your past person highlites the girl after, your woman dead, video game around. Your conserve area is a bit of the long GW 2 Gems distance from your conclude so it seemed to be very annoying for Nanny.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home