Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

One day at a fuckin' time


Grandma's bypass surgery was February 16th. It's now almost May and and the first glimmer of normalcy is creeping into Grandma's overstressed life in the form of getting utterly pissed off at Professional Mode in Resident Evil 5 on her 360. The past month and a half of never-ending hospital visits, close scares, and doctor's appointments definitely rank as the most pain she has ever felt in her 73 years on this weird little planet. It also probably came close to the lowest she's felt emotionally in the past few decades.

Maybe I don't need to tell you, some of you already know, but goddamn if it wasn't your cards, letters, phonecalls, emails.. or even just your presence out there in the world that made her feel as though everything would be okay.

Hold on. That sounds like a line of bullshit. That sounds like one of those things people recite out of courtesy. I'm not making myself clear enough.

Let's start at the point where Grandma got out of the hospital.

I'm trying to find the best way I could describe University Hospitals Cleveland to you and I can only come up with a single word:

Midgar.

The UH Campus is a series of buildings and hospitals connected on multiple levels with a giant tower connecting everything at the center. Construction cranes surround the North East side, building something new after Avalanche or whoever destroyed what used to be there. The gleaming buildings of steel and glass squeeze a tiny row of houses down beneath them like a forgotten shanty town. There is a parking garage on Cornell Rd off Euclid that's usually full during the peak hours, but its worth it to scope out departing cars because of the pedestrian bridge connecting it to Mather Pavilion.

When Grandma first arrived at the hospital, usually the only available parking in this garage was on the top floor. When I lived in Cleveland, I remember my friends and I taking the stairs to the top of that garage for a view of the skyline in the distant valley. It's quite a view. The automatic sliding doors to the elevator waiting area was busted; I'd like to think some silly fools with access to the hospital-provided wheelchairs ramped down from the very top of the garage and smashed into it, but my YouTube searches haven't turned up anything.

The day I was finally able to bring her home, however, the door was repaired. That's how long she had been there. The place was already changing around her. The week before that had been a series of tiny steps. She would, with the assistance of a walker and oxygen, walk a few steps beyond the nurses' station and back again. And then a little further the next day and so on. We planned to eventually help her walk all the way to the elevators, down the long corridor in the lobby, into the atrium and eventually into the cafeteria as sort of a Grand Journey that would symbolize her readiness to start life again.

They discharged her before we had the chance. Maybe that was an omen of things to come.

When I reached her room, she was reviewing a video game of sorts. The UH television network has these little games you can play using the remote control; games like word puzzles and trivia and Bejewled knock-offs that had kitten heads instead of jewels.

"I can't get the goddamn cursor to choose the right kitten.." she said.

At least nothing has changed, I thought.

After a bit of waiting, a nurse removed the IV from Grandma's arm while another began to go over a list of medications and instructions for me. More contradictions.
"She's going to have a lot of surgery pain for a little while."
-"What kind of pain?"
"Pain where they opened the ribcage, mostly. In the chest. Perfectly normal."

And later:

"If she has any chest pain, go the emergency room immediately."
-"...Okay."

"When should she go back on her Coumadin?"
-"Tonight. INR levels are good."

And later:

"Have her talk to her doctor before going back on Coumadin."

There was a lot of that.

I fetched the car from the garage and they wheeled her to the front lobby so I could pick her up. Of course, they released her at exactly 5:00pm on a weekday for some sadistic reason so it took awhile to get home. Even in the winter, the cold air from the vents in the car made her feel good.

At home, we cleaned up the walker she used after one of her knee replacements if she needed it. She was able to get in and out of bed easily, which was a relief. We bought her one of those super tall toilet seats for the bathroom in her gameroom so she wouldn't have a problem getting up again. I had installed it just that morning, so I felt like I accomplished something. The kids had shoveled the snow from the driveway to the front steps, but a fresh coat had made it look slick again. Luckily, she didn't have any problems using the walker.

I moved her chair out of the gameroom and replaced it with my computer chair from the office which was higher up for her; less effort getting up and down. After unfolding a seat for the shower so she could bathe, we were set. For the first couple weeks, I slept upstairs, just outside her room on the couch in case she needed something. If anything split open, if something went wrong, if she couldn't reach her walker, somebody needed to be there.

Grandma was in a lot of unbelievably uncomfortable pain during those nights. I could hear it from outside her door. She couldn't sleep for more than ten minutes without grimacing audibly. Perhaps it was because of the medication she took before going to sleep, but she couldn't remember doing it. Because she couldn't sleep, I couldn't sleep. Not with those noises coming out the room a few feet away from me. Most frustrating of all was that I couldn't do anything about it. If I opened the door and asked her if she was alright, she would wake up annoyed. I'd say "Let sleeping dogs lie" and all that, but The Dog didn't seem to care. Shiloh was passed out next to her bed, his paws flat on the carpet, just as he had always done before she went in for surgery. Everyone else was stressed the fuck out.

One bit of reprieve came from the visiting nurse assigned to Grandma during her initial recovery. She's this unusually cheerful person with a contagious laugh that had the unfortunate task of filling out mounds of paperwork every time Grandma would go back to the hospital or one of her doctors changed instructions, which, as you'll come to find out, meant she had to fill out a lot of goddamn paperwork.

Soon after she came home, she was back in. The pain was too great. She was too short of breath. She felt light headed. She couldn't sleep at all. If you can imagine how you would feel if you ran until your body would absolutely not allow you to run anymore, when you collapse onto the track, vomiting and cramping and breathing as though the oxygen levels had suddenly dropped to Everest Summit levels, well.. that's how Grandma felt from the action of putting on a shirt in the morning. She called her doctor but the doctor was in surgery. The nurse on the line advised she go to the emergency room. She was told to come to the Cleveland emergency room so if she was admitted, the doctor would be able to see her.

So we drove back to Midgar.

I dropped her off at the Emergency Room doors and went searching for a place to park. For reasons I don't fully understand, even now, I was angry. I was angry at the hospital for having three parking garages marked "full" when there were a line of cars exiting them. I was angry at Cleveland for only having a set number of parking meters behind Rascal House Pizza. I was angry at University Circle traffic for existing. I was angry at the tourists in Little Italy gawking up at the church, crossing the street slowly; happily to the Frank Sinatra tunes being pumped into the air outside any number of restaurants nearby. I must have drove around a small, four block radius for an hour trying to park. I was angry at the nurses for contradicting the doctors. I was angry at the kids for hugging grandma and coughing with their mouths open, getting her sick and setting her back.

Most disturbing of all: I was angry at Grandma. I was angry at her for feeling the way she did. I was angry she wasn't jumping around, yelling at the kids to cut the bullshit and behave like she used to. I was angry at her for not listening to the doctors, that it was an expected pain. I was angry that she breathed the way she did, hyperventilating when she hurt, making things worse. I was angry that I had to focus on all of this, on the medication, on the appointment times, on the scheduling. I was angry that it was up to me to repeat to her what the doctors told her not because she didn't understand but because they spoke too quietly and too quickly, and her hearing aids weren't working. I was angry that I had to watch her suffer instead of retreat into some safe state of self-pity.

And I was angry and ashamed that I felt that way.

I finally found parking on the Case campus next to the hospital. I walked a familiar route along the road in the rain feeling sorry for myself. When I finally found the Emergency Room door, I also found a sign next to it that read "Free Valet Parking for ER patients as a courtesy of University Hospital" with a dude in an uniform next to it taking people's keys.

Mother fucker.

I asked my way around and finally came across Grandma stuffed in a back room already hooked up to an IV that would buzz a piercing, loud alarm until some passing nurse would come in and push some buttons. We sat there for awhile.

"Are you still mad at me?" she asked.
-"I'm not mad at you," I lied.

I knew my passive-aggressive bullshit was easy enough to see through for Grandma, but I couldn't even begin to explain myself. I knew I was being a jackass, but I didn't know why.

"You think I'm not trying hard enough, is that it?"
-"No..."
"It fucking hurts, Tim! I'm trying!"
-"I know! But it's gotta be the deconditioning they talked about! Look, they said it was going to be like this and just.. take it easy for awhile! If it hurts when you do something then don't fucking do that thing right now!"
"Don't do what? Get dressed? Walk to the bathroom?"
-"No, I don't mean that..."

But I didn't know what I meant. What was she supposed to do?

They admitted her to the hospital for testing and I drove back home. I was able to get over myself and stop being an asshole. She was in for a couple days. They changed her medications a little and let her go.

Things did not improve for Grandma.

Her doctor told her to take pain pills for the pain, but she doesn't like pain pills because they make her feel stoned. She hated the way she was treated by pain management clinics in the past, like some druggie just out to score some Oxycontin to snort, so she had always done her best to just avoid them. The pills helped her at night but not as much during the day.

The physical therapist came out to the house all of one time and then promptly left saying that Grandma was doing exactly what she needed to be doing at the moment and she wasn't required.

Her cardiologist seemed to be as leery of her symptoms as Grandma.

The problems she described, she was told, warranted another heart catheterization. Worse case scenario: the heart bypass didn't take, and they would have to place stints to open up the blockage, something they didn't want to do in the first place, which is why they did the heart bypass.

I don't even know how to tell you how scared she was.

She opted to have the procedure performed in Cleveland again, for if something was wrong and they had to fix it, she would have to be transferred there anyway.

So we drove back to Midgar.

This time, the hospital was a bit more tricky to navigate. I couldn't drop Grandma off at the front door like we did in the Emergency Room because the surgical center was too far away for that. I'd need a wheelchair. So! I parked the car on the top floor of the Cornell Rd. garage, took the stairs to the bridge, crossed the bridge, found a wheelchair, asked permission to use it, got a funny look, took the wheelchair back over the bridge, waited for the elevator, let some people go ahead of me that looked like they couldn't stand too long, waited for the next elevator took the elevator to the top, collected Grandma from the car, wheeled her to the elevator only to find a whole mess of wheelchairs for those who needed them.

Mother fucker.

They have an entire area all set up for heart catheterizations at UH Cleveland. This is some common shit. They took Grandma back and offered me a bagel. That's fucking class, right there. When they let me back to see her before they got started, a resident-fellow (which is a silly title) comes over to Grandma to make small talk and answer any questions before the procedure.

"How long will the heart-cath take, usually? I have to make some calls to the rest of the family but I want to be in the waiting area when she's done," I asked.

And as nonchalantly as a man pondering the metric weight of his own balls, this guy says to us "Oh.. let's see, best case, nothing's wrong, we're in and out in no time flat, and worse case, she'll need another heart-bypass."

Grandma starts to cry. Douchebag starts to retrace his steps.

"I mean.. well... that would be done.. later, I guess...."
-"I'm not going fucking through that shit again. No fucking way," Grandma tells me.

He scared the everloving shit out of her.

"You have time for lunch if you leave now," they told me. So I did. I hurried down to Rascal House, horked down a couple slices of pizza and ran back upstairs, but she was already in. So I waited.

When they told me she was done, they didn't tell me anything else. The cardiologist who performed the thing was busy doing another one, so I went back to see her and asked her if she knew the result. But nobody told her shit either. Finally, a dude comes out and says the bypass took very well, there's no fluid to worry about, and everything's groovy. That livened Grandma up a bit, albeit as lively as one can be as they are told to lay perfectly still lest the artery in their leg bursts, killing them. Okay: she smiled. Which was the first legitimate smile I'd seen in a long time, it seemed.

"But there's one thing we did find," he continued. "You have a serious blockage in your leg that we found going in, so some people from the vascular department are going to come up and have a look."

...Okay.

And then a dude pushing a cart comes up and performs an ultrasound on Grandma's leg. I think he actually whistled as he did this. Then some other 'resident-fellow' comes by to make small talk and answer any questions about the procedure they just did.

"So there is blockage?"
-"Yeah, but it's weird, you've been able to create paths around the blockage so your circulation is okay. Otherwise, we'd have to amputate with blockage like that, it's like 100% totally blocked."

Either these guys haven't figured out the art of bedside subtlety or they just watch House M.D., too much. Luckily Grandma didn't hear that one, I had to tell her about her freakishly cool vascular system later.

But the good news was she was fine. Follow-up appointments with her surgeon would confirm it. She was completely deconditioned from the surgery. Physical rehabilitation was something they were planning to get her into from the start, she just hadn't been ready, yet. She had joined the zipper club with flying colors and just had to work to get back on her feet. But that shit's not easy. It's not like the thing they made you go through before you could join the swim team in high school, it's much, much harder.

She visited the cardiac-rehab center for the first time last week; a cramped room of torture and treadmills in a dark corner of UH Geauga. It took her a lot of work, and a lot of stress, just to make it that far.

But she had encouragement.


Her friend Evan at Edelman/Microsoft sent her three games: Scene It: Lights Camera Action, Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise, and Halo Wars, along with some Microsoft Points for something in the Arcade (she has her eyes on Crystal Defenders). She immediately tore the SHIT out of Halo Wars. It was her first bit of gaming she could focus on. An RTS that didn't stress her out as much was perfect.

Thank you, Evan.

That package was waiting for her when we got home from the hospital after her trip to the ER.


Her friend Gamer Named Tim made her this awesome goddamn card. You should have seen her eyes light up when she got that one.

Thank you, Tim.

That card was waiting for her in the mail after her trip to the cardiologist after he told her she needed another heart catheterization.


Her friend Jenny sent her a motherfucking boomerang and a little book of Australian slang, so it will be fun for Grandma to take out her clackers, job one of those ratbag quacks so hard in the date, they can't do nothing but stand there like a stunned mullet.

Thank you, Jenny.

That package was waiting for her on our porch after her last trip to the surgeon after he told her she was ready for rehab.

And there have been others. Vic Ireland (!) called her last week to make sure she was okay because I hadn't posted in awhile. She was tickled to hear Vic was still doing his thing (she fucking loved Working Designs, so she's all about whatever Vic is up to.) That was after her first day in rehab.

Your emails, your comments in the last post, everything you guys have done for her..

You see? You were with her every step of this horrible goddamn trip. You were with her when she found out it was possible the bypass didn't take. You were with her after the emergency room meltdown. You were with her when she was frustrated and not getting any answers. Whenever things were bad, the moment she got home she could carefully lower herself down onto her computer chair, log in to her email, and there would be something to cheer her up. And more! You guys were fucking with her.

That's what I meant, up on top of the post.

And you were with me, too.

Which brings me to this morning:

We live at the top of a huge goddamn hill. Our little village is on the banks of the Cuyahoga River, which dips down into Kent, then Munroe Falls, then Akron, then it curls into the valley and divides Cleveland before spilling out into the lake. The river is way down there, and our house is way up here. We can see for miles from our back window. If you are crazy sensitive, you may feel your ears pop if you drive up to our house from the park.

Between all the doctor's appointments and hospital visits, Grandma has either spent her time here or with me at the store, grocery shopping. Because of how weak she's been, she has relied on those weird little scooter thingies you often see lazy people use so she could shop as much as she liked. It's a big deal if she can make it to the pharmacy inside the grocery store without using the electric carts. If she can walk there by herself without aid, she comes back to the car with me, sits down, breathes heavy and says "...I DID IT!"

A couple weeks ago she went grocery shopping without using the scooter. She was having a good day. She kept walking and kept walking and was commenting about it saying "man, this is nuts! I feel fine!" By the time she got home, she was a wheezing mess. It almost put her back in the hospital. Her doctors had her agree to take things slow from that point on. So she started using the scooters again, as she did just a couple days ago.

Today, it was beautiful outside here. 70 degrees, sunny, a little breeze.. It was fucking gorgeous. Mom decided to take the dog for a walk.

"You should come to!" she told Grandma.
-"Pfft.. Yeah. Sure."
"Why not, if it's just down the hill? Once you get down there, Tim could come and pick you up so you wouldn't have to walk back!"
-"I don't think so, Linda."

But she thought about it.

It really was pretty outside, and the sun would be good for her and she needed to walk, so.. why not?

And so she did.

Grandma, who was just a month ago couldn't dress herself without sitting down afterwards and focusing her breath, walked past the first block, then the second, passed the police station, crossed the highway and went further on to the post office and then further to the store to get something to drink. This isn't something she would have attempted before the heart surgery.

But she did it today.

Afterwards, she did NOT collapse from exhaustion into the car. She did NOT wheeze and hyperventilate. She fucking made it.

And do you know what she's doing right now?

She's upstairs, in her original gameroom chair, b*tching about Licker β's in the sixth chapter of RE5, which she has beaten on Veteran Mode, collected every figurine, activated the infinite launcher, all the costumes and filters, scored a number of infinite ammo weapons and now she's focused on Professional Mode.

"This is fucking IMPOSSIBLE. I can't DO THIS SHIT. And this bitch is STANDING THERE DOING NOTHING- NOOO! GOD DAMMIT! SHOOT SOMETHING! You WHORE!"

After seeing what she has accomplished recently, I'd say she has a fighting chance.

Game on.

70 Comments:

  • At 3:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good to see Grandma back into gaming.

     
  • At 3:44 AM, Anonymous Chaos Reaper said…

    Alright! Sounds like she's getting better all the time. Me and my girlfriend can agree, the enemies on chapter 6 suck!

    Keep us filled in! best of luck! :D

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Anonymous peter said…

    I'm thrilled she's doing better. My mom almost died from heart failure, and now her heart is almost back to normal function. It CAN get better.

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger The Frog said…

    Stay well Grandma! So glad you posted an update.

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This is awesome to read. I admit, I got a little bit misty. My brother was a programmer on Hale Wars, and I'm kind of proud that he worked on something that helped Grandma.

    Keep kicking ass, Grandma and Tim.

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    really moving post. thanks for sharing and best of luck to your whole family.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger BonnieBelle said…

    I'm so glad to hear she's doing better. We've been waiting anxiously for an update, and I know things with the heart can be scary. My grandfather has been through several bypass surgeries, and still gets out everyday in his garden to weed. Can't wait to hear more about her progress.

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Joanna Eberhart said…

    Thank you so much for updating. You are a phenomenal grandson for doing so much for her and taking such good care of things for her. She is lucky to have you, as you are lucky to have her. She's been down a rough road, but I hope everything is better from here on out. You're both so strong. Game on.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This post put a smile on my face. It also made me feel conceited, because here Grandma is, dealing with extreme pain, but not giving up, and I'm getting super mad at all the little things.
    But I'm glad to hear that she's better. I was getting a little worried with the lack of posts.
    Live long OGHC!
    Game on.

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've been a reader of your blog since back in the beginning, but I don't think I've ever posted a comment before. However, I just felt that I had to, today.

    Thank you so much for the update about how Grandma is doing. I know you guys don't know me, and I only know you from the blog, but...well....It's hard to explain.

    My maternal grandmother was one of the most important people in my life. She helped raise me when I was a child; we shared a deep bond. When she passed away about 12 years ago, I was devastated. Every time I read your blog posts, it rekindles memories of spending time with my grandmother. Sure, she wasn't a gamer (though I sure as hell am!) and she was from the Philippines and didn't speak English, but there's something about the way you describe your Grandma and your relationship with her that reminds me of Lola and me. Thank you for that.

    Grandma, I hope you get to enjoy this spring indoors and out, gaming and walking and enjoying the hell out of this season, now that you're feeling better post-surgery. Here's to continued improved health and spirits!

    Game on!

    --Kim

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim, Grandma...

    You guys are so phenomenal that I can't even find the right words to describe the feelings i get when I read a new post. I'm SOOO relieved to know that Grandma is doing much, much better and getting back to the things that she loves. I won't even pretend to know the emotional stress you guys have been giong through, but I commend you on conquering such feats. I've been an oghc reader forever, and I've been meaning to post, but now is the right time I believe. Once again, I'm glad to hear from you guys. Please take care and of course....GAME ON!!!!

    P.S. Does grandma have SFIV on the PS3? if so, please send a request, i'd love to play her!

    xbox gamertag: Phatdude26
    PSN ID: mariom28

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Great to hear grandma is doing better. My grandma has been through a lot herself. But, like your grandma, she's a tough old gal and is doing great. Best of wishes to grandma and the whole family. Your a wonderful grandson for being there for her every step of the way. I've really missed your blogs. Glad you're back. God bless.

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger An Unconventional Mummy said…

    I am so happy that Grandma H is getting better and better. We were all fretting here ya know...
    Game On !!!!

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Brad said…

    Tim, Grandma...

    I am so glad to hear that Grandma is back on her way to being her old self.

    When you describing the doctor i was picture the doctor from arrested development. Funny in a Tv show, not so funny in real life.

    Take care of yourselves, and i shall look forward to any future updates.

    Peace.

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    glad shes doing fine but for fucks sake lay off the goddamn word any other will do just not that one.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Tim,

    Don't blame yourself for your anger, I'm no psychologist but I've been through similar instances and the anger comes from being useless and the person you love not being the one you loved. No big deal, but that's the truth of it. My dad died at 62 after being in the hospital or nursing home after being in either the hospital or nursing home flat on his back for almost three years, after working for at least 10 hrs/day 6 days, at least, a week. And believe me your grandmother knows this, I'm sure, and sometimes the anger helps to motivate them, it sure beats the hell out of sympathy or pity.
    Now that I'm finished with you, bless you OGHC for staying the pace and giving us more enjoyment listening to your capers, keep it up, we need you for as long as new games are being made!!

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger electric goldfish said…

    I am so glad she's doing better. I can really relate having to deal with relatives that are distrustful of doctors and medications and...everything. It's hard.

    I am super happy she's back in her proper spot in the gaming chair kicking ass and taking names.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Shrew said…

    It's so good to hear that she's doing better, I was worried! What a terrible thing to have to go through, but to make it out like she did...wow, what a tough lady is all I can say! I bet she'd give us all a run for our money. :)

    Don't beat yourself up for your anger, people react to hard situations like this in different and sometimes weird ways like that. It sounds like you're a wonderful grandson to her - I'm glad she has someone like you in her life, it probably makes all the difference.

    Tell Grandma to take it easy in real life, but keep kicking some ass in games. Here's hoping the road to recovery is a short one!

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Crazy Raven Productions said…

    Holy shit, guys. Glad to hear Grandma's bouncing back!

    As for you... do NOT get too angry at yourself for being angry. I just went through a caretaking position with my much-loved mother in law, who unfortunately passed away from pancreatic cancer in November. Being a caretaker for someone, especially someone in pain that you can't do a damned thing about, is an inhuman magnitude of stress. We do it because we love this person, and not being able to help them is infuriating, and it radiates to everything...especially when you're not getting enough rest !

    I mean really, think about it. How much had/has your life changed because you were taking care of Grandma. I'm willing to bet that you, like me and my husband, have had your world shift from "getting stuff done for myself, getting sleep, working on stuff I care about, eating proper meals, and spending time with this person I love" to "24-hour surveillance of someone I love very much whose pain I can't help, and not a whole lot else." If you didn't acknowledge that anger, it would have just taken over you. I'm glad you've worked through it, but don't beat yourself up about it. You're human, and you're doing the best you can in the world's shittiest situation.

    Best of luck, health and love to the bunch of you!!!

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger Alco said…

    Fuck, I checked the blog a couple days ago and I didn't see any update. I thought "no news means good news" but couldn't help being worried something horrible had happened.
    I am SO relieved that Grandma's doing better. You got me tearing up reading the post, Tim you're an awesome grandson and Grandma is lucky to have you by her side. Don't be too hard on yourself, I'm sure Grandma knows that you love her and that it's hard for you to see her vulnerable at times. It's only human!

    As for Grandma, I really really hope you'll get even better! From what I read you're a strong, loving and caring person and we're all lucky to be able to read about your gaming life, it really does make me happy to see that all kinds of people can enjoy playing and not caring about differences.

    Game on bitches ;)

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Anonymous AtomicBlue said…

    Thank you so much for updating. You are a phenomenal grandson for doing so much for her and taking such good care of things for her. She is lucky to have you, as you are lucky to have her. She's been down a rough road, but I hope everything is better from here on out. You're both so strong. Game on. [2]

    Original post by Joanna Eberhart

     
  • At 7:07 AM, Blogger Doyle said…

    I've been wondering how she was doing, and quite glad you updated. Keep on getting better and beating the crap out of everything the developers have to offer.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No words can say how I really feel but .. HURRAY!!! On all fronts...you guys have been through a ton of shit and then some. But I'm so happy that you posted and shared and that Grandma is doing so damn well!

    Tim, you're writing continues to be incredible and so honest. Don't ever lose that honesty. Don't even think about losing that love you have for your Grandma and your family. You're very lucky.

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Jess said…

    Game On Grandma! My husband and I have been playing RE5 HEAVILY! We're almost done with Veteran mode and have unlocked a ton of shit!

    I was so relieved to see your post today and what an incredibly written account of events. Bravo Tim! And congratulations Grandma on an amazing recovery!

     
  • At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Felix Lukas said…

    Welcome back to the world of gaming, Grandma. You are very cool! Won't stop reading your awesome blog. :D

     
  • At 1:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay! I'm so relieved things are on the up and up. I've been visiting your blog to check up and I've been worried, just like everyone else.

    You really are a great grandson. Don't be too hard on yourself for being frustrated and stressed out. It all comes from how much you care.


    All the best and good health to Grandma! I'm so happy that you're feeling better.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Tove Børstad Solem said…

    Thank god Grandma's fine. Game on!

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger DS said…

    Yall had me on the verge of tears reading that. Seems that no matter what, people who hold strong, have people (near and far) to support you, and keep faith can get over the worst things. Game on for great justice!

    ~DS

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger pika23 said…

    Well....I'm so pleased that Grandma is feeling better! My own grandma passed on in January, and I saw the lack of updates and thought your grandma had passed on as well. I know all about hospitals and hearts and walkers and rehabs....my grandma was in the hospital and rehabs for the last 3 months of her life...she had stents as well a couple years ago.

    My mom was just in rehab til last friday or so. She got a double knee replacement and has to use a walker everywhere.

    Keep on fightin Grandma!

     
  • At 2:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Someone classy ought to make a movie about your awesome love.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger * said…

    yay a update..glad to hear she is feeling good enough to game again. I know many of us were worried.

     
  • At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! I must have missed this update earlier! *hugs*

    I'm so glad that after struggling with health issues for so long, Grandma's back and kicking more arse than ever before. It can be hard when someone you really love is in hospital - I got mad at my Dad a lot when he spent five months in there after his aortic aneurysm operation. It's normal to be upset with the person. It's also normal to feel bad about feeling mad! It's just one of those things that mean we care about that person.

    I'm glad you liked the boomerang! But don't throw it because it probably won't come back and then Shiloh might chew it and choke on the wood splinters. As for the little book - I saw it and realised instantly that these were words and phrases Grandma just HAD to see. :-) And yes, I use some of those phrases myself in everyday life. :-)

    Love, Jenny (dontgiveahoot)

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope you get better, then you can keep on gaming at extra hyper speed :D.

    Game On!

     
  • At 3:15 AM, Blogger Guernican said…

    Over the years that I've been reading this blog, it's turned from one thing into quite another.

    Tim, you're a brave soul. And you shouldn't worry about resenting the person you're trying to look after. Everyone, but everyone who has been in that position has had the same thoughts. It doesn't mean anything more than you're worried and you don't know how to express it. Naturally, it turns in on itself and you end up being angry at the person causing you the worry.

    It just means you love the bejesus out of her. Good for you.

    All the best to you both. Pity I'm not on the X360. RE5 is an awful lot more rewarding when you're playing it online with someone who knows what the hell they're doing. The AI for Sheva blows goats.

     
  • At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Tim & Grandma.

    This post was so touching and I'm so glad to hear that Grandma's going well.

    Best Wishes for you and Gradma's continued health and gaming.

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Brandy Z said…

    Just checking back in to see if all is well - I am thinking about her in Toledo, Ohio!!

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Andreas said…

    Glad to see you up and gaming again Grandma! Love from Sweden.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Lara-Croft said…

    Hope you are feeling better. Number one priority is to get better now even it that means sitting on your comfy chair gaming. Hope to hear from Tim again on this Blog.

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get well Grandma!

    I don't know what I would do without you being out there succeeding at everything I fail.

    "Chris is Starving!"

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    My love to Grandma, and it's so good to see she's doing well.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    just a note from another grandmato say i am hoping your feeling better evryday!!

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Vickie said…

    I feel bad for not following IGHC as often as I should have been, I didn't even know Grandma was sick!

    I do hope the recovery is still going well. That woman is too amazing to be down for very long.

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Give us an update on how everyone 4th of July was and has been.

     
  • At 12:20 AM, Anonymous cyprus property said…

    Nice information provide by you.
    You are doing very well job! keep it up.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Leandro Pimentel said…

    You rock Grandma, you really rock.
    Keep gaming and be happy!

    :)

    PS: Every gamer in Brazil loves you!

     
  • At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Nero 9 Serial said…

    helow there grandma! how are you feeling right now? God Bless!

     
  • At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is my work site, you are welcome hereoil painting

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Rejkyvik said…

    Tim buddy, hope you and grandma are doin okey- my thoughts are with you both- glad she's been feeling better.

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Angelus said…

    My thoughts and prayers are with you for a good and speedy recovery. One gamer to another.

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Cait said…

    Hey. I love OGHC. I hope that she is well and still playing. I hadn't seen a post in a while and was wondering. Best wishes to you both. :)

    -Cait

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Anonymous KoffinKitten said…

    The gamers of Mexico loves you!



    .-never game over-.

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello you are cool I like your way of being Havi not seen this before and a big hug and greetings from mexico!!!

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger Danny "Shayera" White Andrey said…

    Que bueno que ya te recuperaste abuelita ^^

    Saludos desde Mexico!!!

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sos una grosa abuelaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa todos querriamos una maravilla como vos, la verdad que tu nieto debe ser muy feliz de tenerte como suya, grande abu, saludos desde argentina!!!

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Kuroki Hana said…

    I just saw about Grandma in a Spanish gamer website and I just got like "wow! Thats so neat!"

    So I just read all the post, and Im very glad Grandma's okay. So I just hope she can continue gaming cause she's so amazing! So, keep on Grandma! I will totally wish for a Grandma like you!

    Kisses from Panama (Central America)!

     
  • At 2:38 AM, Blogger Alecs Prodan said…

    My god! Gramma, just found out about you, and I'm tellin' you, you're the bomb. Now I have to say, gramma', that... well... it's kind of frustrating the fact that you can probably beat the sh*t out of a bunch of mindless zombies, and fighting in our world maybe isn't that easy (even if that bi*ch would shoot a thing or two in Professional Mode RE5). Impressive, gramma', the way you can do it with or without a controller in your hands. Thanks for inspiring us. Big hugs from Spain, Alecs

     
  • At 2:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    miss u rocks!! i want a grandma like YOU! \(^o^)/

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wewt! Go grandma!

    Has she/you tried Kingdom Hearts?

    If not... I may possibly be better than her.

    Congrats at the determination!

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey vamos vamos vamos!!!

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Anonymous gustav said…

    hi grandma ! ! !

    u rocks

    grandma hardcore riules ! ! !

    huges and kisses from chiapas, mexico

    u r my realy grandma cause u send me to mexico ??

    ur fan tavo ! !

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Mary said…

    From one grandma to another, I hope you keep playing and having fun with your family!

    Always stay young at heart.

    Grandma Mary
    www.grandmas-family-poems.com

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Anonymous UFC 101 Live Stream said…

    keep doing good my beautiful grandma!

     
  • At 3:20 AM, Anonymous Melanie said…

    love this blog

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Mike McInnes said…

    Hey,

    I was just on youtube earlier and I stumbled upon the videos of your grandma playing video games for the first time, then I came to this blog and quite honestly this post gave me tears in my eyes.

    I was so happy to read the ending and hear that she accomplished that long walk and she's kicking ass on Res 5! if I lived in America I'd send you guys some games cause I know you're poor :) but I can't afford to send stuff overseas...

    Good luck to both of you,
    Grandma you're the gran that everyone wants! :)

    Rooting for you, Mike McInnes :)

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Anonymous gih said…

    Wow! Grandma is very serious. Concentrate in her game. That's so nice huh.

     
  • At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now i am and so thankful to hear she has carryingRS Gold out superior. We have been holding out seriously to have an bring up to date, we learn issues with the cardiovascular may be intimidating. The grandaddy has been by way of a number of bypass operations, yet still becomes out every day in his lawn to help pot. Are not able to wait around to listen to Buy WOW Goldmore details on your ex progress.

     
  • At 4:52 AM, Anonymous Calo said…

    Thank you for some other informative blog. Keep on writing, you're awesome!

     
  • At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Naya said…

    Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable info. Quality content is good.

     
  • At 4:54 AM, Anonymous Landen said…

    This article give me a lot of inspiration. thank you for letting me see this information.

     
  • At 4:54 AM, Anonymous Alena said…

    I appreciate this blog of yours. Post more good contents please, Thank you so much

     

Post a Comment

<< Home