Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Cleveland Scene Magazine and PodTech Podcast

Grandma had the honor of getting some press from our local free weekly: The Cleveland Scene. The piece is kind of embarassing in that it was penned by Joe P. Tone, a guy who usually writes about more interesting things, but then again- we're modest to the point of hatred.

Grandma and I also got a chance to say all that couldn't be said about girls and gaming in this here newfangled "podcast" thingy over with Rio Pesino at PodTech. In truth, Grandma says very little and I ramble on about my barely articulate theories. Included (and very brilliant) in the interview was Jane Pinckard of Game Girl Advance.

The Cleveland Scene article distinguishes itself from other print articles about Grandma because of the holy grail of free weeklies such as Village Voice, Detroit Free Press, etc.,. in which they can print whatever goddamn motherfucking word they want and still maintain journalistic integrity. Joe, much like Jose with the Washington Post back in December of 2005, called frequently to verify all the little details obtained in the initial interviews, including the spelling of Deadrising, whether or not the kill-count of 4,000 on her screen seemed plausible, whether or not I used to word "geek" or "nerd" to self-flagellate myself... ...you know, the usual.

The PodTech podcast went fairly well except for my endless rambling; and Grandma had difficulty hearing Rio's questions (our phones suck) so she asked me to jump on the phone to repeat certain things. I was just sitting there minding my own business, as they say, and Grandma said "Tim, pick up the phone, I can't hear..." and I became engrossed in their conversation enough to try to 'enlighten the world' or whatever. Like I know something, right? The fuck do I know?!

One major, MAJOR clarification from the podcast- I don't consider the Fragdolls to be "obscene." That was a poor choice of words. Hell, most of you folks know us enough to guess that a group of gamers putting together a naked LAN orgy wouldn't offend us in the least. The Fragdolls are great, we're just put off a bit by the marketing of it all; that one should display an attractive bird to show diversity in a genre. The Fragdoll clan isn't to blame, shit- they're a great bunch of gamers. Jane said it best in the Podcast when she noted that the community leader of the Fragdolls really does make herself available on panel shows and the like to try and discuss the Ultimate Gaming Gender Question(s). I suppose the fuckup was made because I was trying to make myself sound intelligent or... something. I don't know.

So: Lumines Live is coming out very soon (TODAY), Final Fantasy XII is being released on Halloween here in the states and god knows there will be some interesting rioting and apocalyptic gnashing of teeth upon the releases of the Wii and the Playstation 3. Grandma and I have the feeling we'll have to wait until next year to get a hold of the new systems (at the moment, we're broke) but we wish you guys all the luck in the world at obtaining a couple of your own.

But that's for another post.

Game on!

9 Comments:

  • At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, awesome! Can't wait to see some more posts!

    http://z10.invisionfree.com/Graphix_Forum/index.php?

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, an update! Great article. And I love hearing Grandma's laugh. :)

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw OGHC playing Lumines Live -- what do you think of it? I'm a tremendous Lumines fan (XBL tag Michael Spencer) -- I think I'm good at it but I've never competed with anyone.

    On the negative side though, what do you think of the incremental rollout, and of the "Full Game, 1200 points" download that's not really the full game?

    I can't explain it -- my anger doesn't seem rational.

    First there was only the 'full game' available, and I found so many of the game modes locked. I had paid $15 for the game so far, and was very mad.

    Now there's the 'advanced' single player pack for 600 points. So now I've paid $22.50, and I'm LESS upset about it. Weird.

    And then when the next two packs hit I'll surely buy those too, and then I'll completely forget my anger. I still don't know why.

    What do you all think?

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Zodiak said…

    I agree, these new systems burn a hole in my pocket...well having a car now plus the value of working for my car is more worth it than a PS3 right now. I could however, squeeze in a Wii somewhere down the road. Maybe X-Mas...

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Mogwai said…

    The Wii will be mine, I am going to Osaka for a day in November to play it for free with most of the Otaku in the Kansai region of Japan but it will rock. It is a Nintendo only event that they are doing just for Japan and I am stoked. This is what I wanted TGS to be! I will let you know what happens November 12th if I am not working.

    The PS3 is going to do alright the first couple of days its out thanks to the hardcore gamers out there without girlfriends but a thick, crack dealer sized wad of cash to make up for them. After that its going to stagnate until they drop the price. Then again, that means they will need to actually make enough units to ship, something they have had issues with and look like they still have issues with.

    Price aside, I am not a fan of many of the statements made by Sony execs about the gaming public. Somehow they haven't realized they have competition again and I think that lack of vision is going to bite them in the ass. The PSP is dying due to a severe lack of anything good to play on it and the PS2 isn't moving as many units as it once was. Sony doesn't realize the threat that Nintendo and Microsoft still pose.

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Grandma! Juliana here! I've only heard about you a couple months ago, but I've been reading the blog here ever since.

    Have you had the time to pick up .hack//G.U. yet? I'm in the process of playing it, and it is ALOT better than the previous .hack games. If you like the series, I'd reccomend picking it up. Thanks for hearing me out, Grandma!

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol bull crap shell get a wii and ps3 free just how she got a ds and a xbox 360

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Anonymous gih said…

    That's cool too.

     
  • At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Undoubtedly,Diablo III Gold this kind of fresh devices burn away a job opening within my bank-account..D3 Gold .wonderfully setting up a vehicle today combined withD3 ITEms significance about earning money pertaining to my very own car is much more over worth every penny more than a Playstation 3 250gb slim at this time. I can nonetheless,Cheap Guild Wars 2 Gold press in a really Nintendo dsi gaming system some time later on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home