Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Grandma to be in New York City this Saturday for NintendoWorld "Grandparents Day"



Grandma and I will be in New York City on Saturday, Spetember 9th to shoot a segment for the G-Hole on NintendoWorld's "Grandparents Day." If you're in the city you should stop by and bullshit about games with us for a while! NintendoWorld is putting on a bit of a tournament for "Nintendo's Coolest Grandparent of the Year." Grandma's been brushing up on her BrainAge to prepare, but in her words: "Man, I'm not goin to win shit. I fucking SUCK at the word memorization."

Even at the off chance that she won (the place will be likely packed with people who can out game our entire family), it's not like she needs another DS; she already has a DS Classic and a DS Lite. She's more excited to meet some fellow elderly gamers participating in the event.

I'm not sure how many people are going to be at this thing, but here's the info:

Saturday, September 9th
NintendoWorld
10 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10020

The contest is from 1-3pm (although some websites have reported that the event itself lasts from noon to 5pm.) It looks like registration to participate in the contest will have passed by tomorrow, but the whole day should be pretty fun.

Come by and talk to us, goddamit!

Game on!

16 Comments:

  • At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck, and have fun! I wish I could go, but being an Aussie, getting to America on such short notice would be a tad difficult.

    Did you guys know that the PS3 release has been delayed until February in Australia? The US, Europe, everyone else gets theirs in November as planned, but for some reason we've been pushed back three months. When I asked the guy at EB Games why, he didn't know - he only knew that the email had come through that they would be getting any till next year. *sigh* Why does Australia keep getting the short end of the stick when it comes to gaming? Games come out several months after the US/Europe release, consoles come out months afterward... (I'm assuming that neighbouring countries such as New Zealand and the like are in the same boat as us - can anyone in NZ/elsewhere confirm if their PS3s are delayed too?) Meh.

    Anyway, hope you have a great time in New York, Grandma! Don't worry about winning, just show them you are a gamer!

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry, Jen, but at least Europe is in the same boat you are. I'm in the US and I can't see how I'd get one even if I did preorder. At least all I want (and can afford) is the Wii or the Wii60 combo if possible. See http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153475 for example.

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just remember Jen, we got the DS first. thats what I always tell myself, atleast we got the DS first.

     
  • At 6:19 AM, Blogger Zodiak said…

    damn, I got work on saturday =(

    Was hoping that they would do it on a sunday. But anyhow, good luck with the event Grandma!

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dave: Thanks for the heads-up! That's really weird. I suspect part of the reason for the delay in getting games and consoles to Europe/Australasia is the PAL format we use, as opposed to the NTSC format used in Japan and the US. In one way I'm sorry for all the European gamers that lose out, but in another way I'm kind of glad that Aus/NZ aren't the only ones being left out. I wish they'd ditch the whole different formats thing and use a universal format for consoles and games (and DVDs) - make things so much easier. I'm not surprised the European fans are as frustrated as I am with the constantly being left behind.

    Heiko: Yeah, that's true, we did. Although I didn't have a DS until very recently, I love it and play it every day.

    Well, at least this gives us all more time to save up for the rather hefty pricetag on the PS3...

     
  • At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I´m from Europe, and it truly is annoying to have everything delayed over here :/
    But I heard it was in Mars 2007, not February, it was going to be released here (and in Australia)..

    Anyhow, good luck tomorrow grandma!

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Look what I found...
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/08092006/6/n-technology-guard-game-boys-kids-comes-grandma.html

     
  • At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Saw your profile on fark.
    read the blog.
    Kept on browsing yet I got yahoo'ed into this again..
    let me just say.. COOLEST GRANNY EVAR!!!

    chronicallycanuk

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger DaveT said…

    Good luck grandma! Glad you got to go to E3 this year before it got neutered.

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratz grandma, you won!
    2 DS lites and 10 Games! Woah
    now u have 2 ds's and 3 ds lites cool!

     
  • At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    congratulations! we head about that, event in france! i m a huge fan of grandma!! you can tell her i love her!

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i work there she rocked the house only grand mother to get a crowd cheering love the xbox cane

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://gonintendo.com/?p=5478

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAY I FROM POLAND
    and you is COOL
    i love you
    and write my arczyslaw@kn.pl

    JESTEŚ ZAJEBISTA!!!!!

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just read the news on Kotaku!
    Congrats you foul mouthed granny you!

     
  • At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Europe/Australasia Diablo 3 Gold would be the Companion D3 Gold format we use, as opposed to the NTSC file format utilised inD3 ITEms Japan and the You. Within a method I am sorry for all Cheap Guild Wars 2 Gold the American players of which miss the boat,

     

Post a Comment

<< Home