Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Grandma's current game list

Grandma just completed Xenosaga III (PS2), is working on finishing up the achievement list on Lego Star Wars II (Xbox 360), and has begun the long awaited Okami (PS2). She also picked up Rocketslime for the Nintendo DS, but she hasn't tried it yet. If you've been following Grandma's habits for the past year, you'll know she takes things one game at a time. That isn't likely to change.

Xenosaga III was, sadly, the last of the Xenosaga series; originally planned as a six installment legacy. It didn't deviate much from the original two in style, so be prepared for tons of anime cutscenes to wrap up the story and tie everything together in a semi-religious theme. It's a two disc game for the Playstation 2, the second disc is reserved for merely the last two chapters of the game; an unholy gauntlet of boss battles that left Grandma with a tired taste of victory in the wee hours of the morning when she finally told me "well, I did it" like some surgeon come to tell the family of an unlucky patient after a difficult operation. I haven't played any of the Xenosaga games. Shit, I confused the title of the first game with Xenogears when she first told me about her interest. Grandma will have a full review of the game prepared soon, but know that you should probably sink the first two games under your belt before you buy this one. Buying all three at once will keep you occupied for a month or so.

Lego Star Wars II is a fantastic little platformer that's available for just about every system. Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, GameCube, GBA, DS, PC, PSP... we're surprised they didn't make an 8-bit cartridge for all those NES players still holding out for the 'next best thing.' There were a few glitches evident on the 360 version, but nothing uncommon for the genre. You can get stuck in the scenery on certain levels, Dagobah especially, and unless you're in Free Play Mode and can switch to a character that can use a thermal detonator to blow themselves back into play, you have to go back to the cantina and reset the level.

Because we're shameless purists when it comes to Star Wars, we had to (for reasons of nostalgia and research) get the original movies that recently became available once George Lucas decided he wanted a slightly bigger pool lined with gold and that nifty retractable roof he saw in the Nieman Marcus catalog for each of his three thousand dog houses. Grandma never saw Episode I. She saw Episode II on cable and was adequately disgusted enough to go back to playing a video game. We were among those who waited in line for the first midnight showing of Episode III. Grandma fell asleep in the theater.

We could probably throw the first discs away. The original movies are disgracefully included as a "bonus feature" on the second DVD.

The best interpretation of a Star Wars cinematic moment into Lego absurdist theater would have to be the beginning of the first chapter in Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi, in which Darth Vader's conversation with some poor commander about his dissatisfaction with the progress of the new Death Star's construction becomes a stern gesture towards some Lego construction workers taking a coffee break and spinning aimlessly in their chairs.

Beyond the game's cutesy, animated humor, however, lies some puzzles that can only be described as "a bitch." The XBox 360 version's achievements go further than the game's own determination of 100% to squeeze every drop of frustrated rage from us all.

Grandma's currently playing Okami upstairs. She's not very far into the game yet, and trying to master the unique paintbrush style of gameplay proves harder than she first imagined when she demo'd the thing at Capcom's booth last E3. The game is undeniably beautiful. The screen is almost always shown with a canvas texture and they moved away from particle effects to a cartoon sprite style reminiscent of Wind Waker, but it's no copy.

Are any of you folks playing this yet? What the hell do you make of it?


Also, Evan sent Grandma an XBox 360 Live Vision Camera. Now if any of you want to bug the shit out of Grandma while she's playing online, you can both flip each other off in style!

Mogwai, our official "Friend in Japan," sent Grandma a fantastic goody box filled with the culture and gaming kitsch that Grandma would have seen had she been able to attend TGS last September, including some food to which we've all become addicted. I'd say more about this incredibly generous and awesome supply of all things Japanese, but I don't want to give you guys any ideas :) Thank you so much, man.

Alright- I have to talk about the one thing: among the gifts was a keychain with a label that simply read "IN" followed by an illustration of Mario heading towards a pipe. When you press the button, it emits the strange sound we've all been conditioned to understand to be "Pipe Entry." You KNOW this sound. Everyone does! Whatever you do, don't try to unlock your doors with keyless entry while fumbling in your pocket with this keychain attached. You'll get stares of both recognition and disgust.

On second thought, go ahead. Fuck that second group. The hell do they know?

Game on!

17 Comments:

  • At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post, I would have sworn you guys would make a post about the death of e3 (lucky grandma go to go!) and what you think about it.

    Daniel
    Sydney, Australia.

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think Okami is incredibly fun, and the paintbrush mechanic is perfectly implemented to fit the unqiue world.

    It is not that difficult, but there are a lot of sidequests, including 100 Stray Beads that you can find. It is a lot like Zelda, the night/day aspect of Ocarina of Time, and the visual style of Wind Waker. But it is a great game Grandma is sure to enjoy. I really liked Xenosaga III, too.

    Did Grandma beat Erde Kaiser Sigma and Omega ID, the game's two optional bosses? Right now, I am working on Valkyrie Profile 2 and Baten Kaitos Origins. Keep it up, Grandma.

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooooooooo..... she's going to like Okami. I couldn't stop playing it until it was done.

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger Mogwai said…

    Glad you liked the box o' goodies. :) Those keychains are funny but they can get annoying. A few weeks ago I had a kid come into my class and start jumping like Mario and he had rigged the "jump" keychain to go off everytime he did the action. I had a good laugh for five or ten minutes but then it got a tad annoying.

    Take care and based on your summarization, I am going to have to play Lego Star Wars now. Oh, and to the original rerelease of te first three movies, I only have one comment: The Ewok song at the end of Return of The Jedi. Badass.

     
  • At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Grandma! Great to see a new post up!

    I'm really excited to hear what you think about Okami, as the things I've read about that game make me very excited for the day it comes out in Australia. I finally received my Kingdom Hearts 2 about half a week ago, but I won't be able to play it for another few days because I'm visiting a friend while her husband is away visiting his family, and he took their PS2 with him! (The bastard...)

    Game on!

     
  • At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm excited to hear what you think about Okami. I've read about that game and can't wait to play it. Yes, the Ewok song at the end of Return of The Jedi was good.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Collin said…

    I'm currently playing "Okami", although I'm not too far in. I got sidetracked by unpacking at the new house. I really enjoyed what I've played of it so far though, and I hope I can get back to it before I forget how to play.

    I also have my eye on "Lego Star Wars 2" a bit down the line, although the next Splinter Cell is likely to bump it for awhile. A person can only get so many new releases, you know?

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm finally getting God of War tomorrow I can't friggin wait. Just finished Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories the other day. Turned out not bad at all. Athough the last mission could have been a little harder lol. Game on Grandma!!

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh grandma. Wow saw her on MTV today. And it was very cool to hear her say she loved watching Link grow up. If only I had one grandma like her. I'd be over all the time. I love zelda a ton over as well. Anyhow, you've made my day GH.

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Zodiak said…

    hey Hardcore,

    I love those lego star wars games, so much fun and they are near the Super Star Wars games of the old SNES days.

    If you haven't played Dead Rising yet I suggest you do, I played it over a friend's house and it is the only reason I want a 360! (well that and Halo 3 lol) but I'm gonna go for the Wii this time around.

    I love artzy games like Ico and Okami, so much fun to play and so interesting to see. A true visual expierence!

    Stay cool OGHC!

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Tim & Grandma -

    Just wanted to give a shout-out, glad you guys are doing well, and eager to get Grandma's opinion on the Rocket Slime game... been eyeing that one for a bit.

    ALSO! Did you guys get a pwii-order for the Wii? ::chuckle:: I still have the bitter taste of failure in my mouth in that regard. Alas! But I still have Psychonauts to finish, so I imagine that taste will soon be replaced with the tang of blood from nearly biting my tongue off in frustration trying to beat the Meat Circus. I've just touched the level, and I forsee much cursing in my future. But Grandma's valiant victory will inspire me to perservere (plus, I love that game like WHOA).

    As always, I crave more updates, but this is nothing new ::chuckle:: Take care, be well, and GAME ON!

    -A!

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm playing Okami and I love love love it ... but there's one brush maneuver I can't get the hang of to save my life. But it's been fun so far. Can't wait to hear what your grandma says about it.

    Lisa

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Isn't Okami one of the finest video games made in the last 20 years? I'm totally bummed about Clover Studios dissolution...

     
  • At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The new year gives way to new things and new innovations are developed.I think the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is going to be released on Jan 30'07. Already the BC expansion World of Warcraft Guides and News are released on Jan 16 '07.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Mark Hendrickson said…

    if you like game lists you should check out greatgamesexperiment.com. You can create and export gamelists wherever you want.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Felix Lukas said…

    I gotta get Rocketslime, since Grandma plays it. xD

     
  • At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Performed Cheap Diablo 3 items Grandma defeat ErdeD3 Gold Kaiser Sigma and Rr #, the actual game's 2 suggestedD3 ITEms employers? Right this moment, I will be implementing Valkyrie Report Only two as well as Cheap Guild Wars 2 Gold Baten Kaitos Origins. Keep it up, Mom.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home