Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Grandma #4 on Top Ten Most Interesting People In Gaming for 2005!!

GamerGod.com has named Grandma as the fourth most interesting person in gaming in 2005. This is a BIG honor for her. I am so proud of her!! The article was Slashdotted, bringing a lot of debate upon the list. There were some folks who questioned pretty much the whole list, noting that pro gamers were remarkably absent; or that the designers of their favorite games of 2005 were not listed. Some questions the existence of the list at all; why should we categorically classify ranking to things using the number ten? Why not the roman numeral "X" for instance? Do they have a problem with "X?" If so, why?

No one questioned Grandma's placement on the list more, however, than Grandma herself.

Grandma - "I don't deserve that shit- there are a TON of better gamers out there! There are people that do this for a LIVING! Why am I there?!"

Me - "Well, the list is of the 'most interesting people in gaming in 2005' not the best gamers in the world."

Grandma - "Oh, come on. Who the fuck am I? I'm not interesting."

Me - "Bullshit, you're plenty interesting! You know how many people who meet you later tell other people how fucking awesome you are?"

Grandma - "Yeah. One. You. You little shit!"

Me - "Well, I think you're awesome."

Grandma - "Whatever you say. Sure."

Me - "Jack Thompson is on the list..."

Grandma - "Oh yeah, where did he place?"

Me - "Let's just say he's ahead of you."

Grandma - "Who else is ahead of me?"

Me - "Leeroy Jenkins."

Grandma - "..."

Me - "You know, ...the video."

Grandma - "..."

Me - "LEEEEERRRRROOOOYYYYYY JEEENNKIIINNSSSSS!!!

Grandma - "..."

Me - "Come on-"

Grandma - "Yeah, no- I know. Well who did I beat?"

Me - "Will Wright."

Grandma - "Alright, now I KNOW that's a bunch of bullshit. How the fuck did I beat HIM?!"

Me - "I don't know. You also beat the Governor of Illinois and the PSP licker girl."

Grandma - "....."

Me - "I think it's awesome!!!!"

Grandma - [dirty look; gazing into my obviously disturbed and broken mind]

Me - "Don't you think it's cool?"

Grandma - "I think it's great! I just don't think I deserve it!"

Me - "Well, wait for your next copy of EGM. Remember that interview?"

Grandma - "Why? Tim, why- what are they writing about?"

Me - "You'll see! [evil grin]"

Grandma - "You're a weird kid."


Thank you Grimwell, Grandma is very honored. I get name dropping rights now too, so it's brilliant for both of us!


In some other fun and exciting news, Grandma got to do some more live radio today on the one and only Tokyo Fm 80.0Mhz for the show 6 Sense. To hear the show, click on the intro artwork, then Web Radio then select January 10th and click on the Toyota View Up Tomorrow clip. It's a flash based site and the interview was in both English and Japanese.

We have many very loyal Japanese readers so Grandma was excited to be on the show. She would like to imagine the possibility that any one of her favorite Japanese gaming companies may be listening to the show and hear some love from a truly grateful American fan. To tell the truth the interview embarrassed me somewhat; we Americans are not known for our vast thirst of foreign language adaptation. We really should begin teaching kids multiple languages earlier in life so they don't end up like me; who only really knows a few phrases in other languages besides English.

I blame the schools. And Jack Thompson.

Game on!!

13 Comments:

  • At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hah, i checked that list earlier in the day. God thank i did, or else i wouldn't have discovered the game that spore will be :D

     
  • At 2:44 AM, Blogger Robin Alexa said…

    Grandma rules.

     
  • At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's been fascinating to read and see the development, not just of a really interesting blog, but also a genuine self-made celebrity. And all through the power of democratic ommunication.

    Viva Grandma.

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Brinstar said…

    That PSP-licker should not be on that list. After that list was announced, I got even more visits to the little post I made back in June regarding Ms. Chobot (http://acidforblood.blogspot.com/2005/06/jessica-chobot.html). And one dude recently tried to resurrect the lengthy debate in my Comments section. The amount of attention she's getting for that crap is ridiculous. If a guy did that, you wouldn't hear about it.

    Leeeroy Jenkins? Come on. The only reason he's on the list is because he showed non-MMO players some idiotic shit. Everyone fucking hates that kind of n00bish behaviour. One of my guildmates pulled something like that the other night, and she's certainly not more interesting for getting everyone (except me) killed. If anything, it was just annoying.

    Check this: http://cathodetan.blogspot.com/2006/01/1-very-odd-list.html

    In fact, the only interesting person on that list is Grandma.

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good for you Grandma, I sure am intersted in ya.

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger . said…

    Today shown in "Taff" (6 PM) on the german TV. You could watch it on the broadcast station "Pro 7".
    If you write this could you link to my blog? ;-)

    Greatings from germany!

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger DY357LX said…

    Your transcripts always make me laugh tim. BTW : did you get my email about the video site ?

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats with the placement on the list!

    I just saw the interview from the G-Hole and figured I'd go check the blog, so here I am. Just wanted to say that your grandma kicks some serious arse!

    MaiaMadness

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    boring said...

    Today shown in "Taff" (6 PM) on the german TV. You could watch it on the broadcast station "Pro 7".
    If you write this could you link to my blog? ;-)

    Greatings from germany!

    12:01 PM


    I usually watch Taff here in the US daily, on ProSeibenSat7Welt. I must have missed this! Did you see it in the US on this network?
    Will keep looking for it. Thanks.

    --Ruthie

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OOPs....

    I think I missed it! Dang. Oh, and it's ProSiebenSat1.Welt, not 7, here in the US, from Germany of course.

    --Ruthie

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Granny, from all of us here at GamerGod, YOU ROCK!

     
  • At 6:16 AM, Anonymous Tai Chi uniform said…

  • At 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Leeeroy Jenkins? Think about it. Really the only purpose he has been availableDiablo 3 Gold is simply because they revealed non-MMO avid gamers many stupid stuff. All people screwing detests that kind regarding n00bish behaviour. Certainly one of the guildmates ripped something like that additional night, along with she's definitely not additional useful to get everybodyGW2 Gold kaufen (other than me personally) wiped out. Contrary, that it was just irritating.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home