Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Worthy Petition

Grandma and I both have a lot of respect for the gaming industry's progress on accessibility issues; they are certainly getting better. One of our readers, Nadine from the lovely city of Calgary, sent me a link to a petition calling for greater attention towards captioning in games for the deaf. My own experiences not withstanding gaming with Grandma, I would have still signed the petition. Grandma does require captioning on many of her games, because her hearing aid doesn't work well with the XBox Live headset (feedback).

I believe the industry is paying attention to those with hearing impairments, so this petition is a good way of further addressing the issue.

Here's the link for you guys if you wish to sign.

It may be more work for designers and programmers and QC folks to implement captioning in games, but it works when done well, as Grandma and I can attest.

Captioning carries other benefits as well as aiding those who truly need it. It also assists those who might not care for particular voice acting within a game, and yet may still be able to enjoy it. It helps when it's 3:30am and important dialogue in FFX needs to be understood, and yet you've already received three noise citations this year called in by the people in the apartment upstairs who watch Pocahontas as loud as they please but call the cops on me for some reason, and it's not like the bastards work anyway (I assure you, not taken from personal experience. Really.)

Captions as a choice within the game's options really helps everyone, so its nice to see such a petition online.

We at OGHC encourage you guys to sign.

Thanks!

15 Comments:

  • At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm all for it. Even though my hearing is exceptional (I can hear the dull buzz of a TV that's on a black screen from across the room), I still have trouble understanding the ruddy voice acting sometimes. Plus, I'm usually listening to other music at the time (You can only hear the "dun-dun-dun BATTLE!" music so many times)

     
  • At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    also its good for use who speak have english as a secondary language. I can read english MUCH better than listen to it, so captions help me understand whats going on.

     
  • At 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HEY Tim you should read this you guys are mentioned http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27019

     
  • At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Petition signed and linked. Woo for subtitle options!

    Take care, be well, and GAME ON!

    -A!

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Mike Abundo said…

    Signed and reposted. :)

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    RE: Gamer Phfreak's post... I could have done a better Inq article than they did. It's a shame when slow balls get bunted that way. It's a crime, I say!

    Also, Jack Thompson, attorny at large, can eat a bowl of dicks. and finish off the milk afterward.

    ""object of derision" can eat a bowl of dicks" is the new black, by the way

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger CtrlAltDelete said…

    kirsha-

    That's an excellent point that I admit I forgot! If I can change languages on a DVD, I think the same can be capable in a video game. Subtitles offer an expansion of audience.

    gamer phfreak-

    YES! I saw that! It's an old article now, it came out about a day after Kotaku reported us as finished with Zork Thompson v1.0. We've been getting quite a bit of traffic from that link. That particular situation brought us links from 1up.com as well as numerous other gaming news sites. I'm just glad for the guys at Penny Arcade. They exposed what Jacky boy is very well.

    mike abundo-

    Mike, you're on our upcoming next batch of buttons for the ultimate kickass blogroll, man. Your picture rules :)

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger CtrlAltDelete said…

    shadesofsteve-

    "The new black" you say? Very well. It shall go with everything!

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello, this isn't exactly the right place to put this (altho I think this is an excellent idea as well), but I've recently found out about "Old Grandma Hardcore" and wanted to say hi and good for you! I am an almost 35 yr old mother and an avid gamer. I can see myself being a gaming grandma too :). I run a news site/community for female gamers (www.gaminggirls.net) and have made a news post about Barbara from an article I saw on BusinessWeek.com.

    I'm bookmarking this blog too. All the best to you and happy fragging :D

    Calisto - Owner/Operator GamingGirls.net

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    THAT is awesome! I took sign language in high school and I'd like to see it become a more important subject in high school or college. When I was in school, (95-99) 90 percent of deaf children were born to two hearing parents. There is an apathy among parents of deaf children that is alarming. They see their children as defective and force them to get hearing aids, implants and subject them to hours of therapy to make them in hearing, speaking children. Many refuse to learn sign language and feel that if they were to encourage the use of sign language, they are making their children handicapped! And...I'm gonna stop there. HA! This is something I could go on forever about, but I wont.

    I signed it, enough said

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I got to a school where the National Technicaly Institute for the Deaf is located. This is a really good idea since it seems the Deaf population gets overshadowed a lot.

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger CtrlAltDelete said…

    Anonymous, do you go to RIT?

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    signed it, More games need to have those options.

     
  • At 2:57 AM, Blogger Mike Abundo said…

    Glad you like the pic, Timothy. That's sex columnist Asia Agcaoili (left) and singer Sheree (right). They rock. ;)

     
  • At 3:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    also the
    Buy Diablo 3 itemsfor use exactly who chat get uk being a 2nd terminology. I can read language Superior to see it, thus sayings assist me realize Guild Wars 2 Gold kaufenwhats occurring.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home