Old Grandma Hardcore

This blog is the chronicle of my experiences with Grandma, the video-game playing queen of her age-bracket and weight class. She will beat any PS2, XBox, GameCube, etc., console game put in front of her, just like she always has. These are her stories. She is absolutely real. She lives in Cleveland.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Grandma In Hospital; Updates Coming

Ally and I drove down from Case after Mom called us from the emergency room at Robinson Memorial Hospital in Ravenna, OH. Before everybody (including me) panics, here are the facts so far:

Sometime this afternoon Grandma was balancing her checkbook and going through the bills for this week and became dizzy. She went numb in places on one side. After a trip the the emergency room, they first suspected a stroke. They haven't ruled anything out yet, but they are focusing on the possibility of a blood clot moving towards the lungs. They took a CAT scan, they studied her heart from all possible angles, and they have scheduled a test tomorrow to view the lungs using a special dye (to which she happens to be allergic.) Because of possible complications from the dye, they are using a technique unavailable at triage using a breathing mask as the delivery method rather than an injection. She is being given blood thinners right now and is to be kept overnight and restricted to bed until a blood clot is ruled out.

She should be home tomorrow, and up and running around doing her thing in a few days. When I find out more I'll post it here for you.


When Ally and I were finally able to go back and see her, she was pissed for two reasons. First, she was mad they would only let her use a bedpan and not the restroom: "I hate those fucking things, I can go with a nurse if they want but bedpans suck." And second, she was angry they were keeping her overnight because "I want to get back to that game. I finally got through- you know you posted yesterday that I was stuck? Well someone on the site wrote it was the flowers, and that's what it was! But now I have to go to this post office or something and use clairvoyance on this guy to get in, but I'm not fast enough... and then this shit happens.... FUCK!!" I'm just glad she's alright.

She really needs your support right now, though. I'll bring the laptop up tomorrow for her to see some get well e-mails from all of us.

Thanks everybody. I'll post any changes tonight and tomorrow morning, I think it's going to be a long night, so I'll be awake to answer any questions.

-Tim

Update: 9:09pm EST

Mom called from the hospital asking how to turn off the iPod. They aren't letting anyone back to see her at the moment, but we know they are looking for blood clots. Blood clots scare the shit out of me. The EKG graphs appeared erratic, I didn't know what to think. Grandma doesn't seem that worried. She's a tough old bitch, that's for sure. Mom says she's looking much better than when she was admitted. Apparently when she arrived she looked like James Carville on shrooms, but now she's back to her pleasant self. I'm not sure what sort of tests they're running now, but I'll update as soon as I'm able to get through to her room.


Also- Thanks for all the comments and e-mails, everybody. Thanks as well to all the gaming industry folks who e-mail get-well messages, you guys didn't have to do that, but it's going to make Grandma's morning when I show her. She's received more get well cards in the past four hours or so than all the hate-mail she received while the site was featured on Slashdot, Kotaku, Blue's News, MTV, MSNBC, Screenhead, Fazed, Digg, Memepool, and Metafilter combined, so there is a lot of love out there for Grandma. Thanks, guys.

35 Comments:

  • At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My jaw dropped when I read the title of this article. That is scary. I hope your Grandma gets out of there soon, hospitals suck. Get well soon!

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jesus Christ. Get well soon Grandma! Game on!

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get well soon Grandma! I hope you're alright!

    Tim, hang in there, man.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :(

    I am glad to hear she is still full of piss and vinegar. Thats a good sign.

    I hope you get out of the hospital soon OG. There is enough bad news right now.

    -Mama Lombax

    BTW Tim, Fark may not give you the love but Total Fark does.

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    EVERYONE in the industry is rooting for her, Tim. We all hope she'll be alright.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Grandma, I hope you feel better soon.

    Tim - I feel for ya. One of the worst feelings is having somebody you love sick.

    We'll all be thinking about you both!

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey grandma! It`s me again, zelda. I had a stroke a couple years ago. believe me, you would have known!! Relax! Don`t get so uptight with the games. Love you dearly. I will keep checking the posts to see how you are. LUV.

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger FsFalcon said…

    Grandma: Hope you're feeling better, and I look forward to hearing about your continued gaming exploits real soon!

    Tim: Hang in there man, and let us know if there's anything we can do. The community you've built with this site would do anything for you and OGHC!

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh man, I almost fell outta my chair when I read the title of this article! It's good to hear that she's still full of her trademark rage! I hope she gets well soon, and it's nothing seriously wrong.

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ::hug:: Much good mojo to you and Grandma, and I hope for a very speedy recovery so she can get back to beating the stuffing out of Psychonauts, and you can get back to walking about campus yelling crazy things into a cellphone. Rest easy (no more 30-hour runs for a while, I bet), and come back ready to rumble! Were I there, I'd even make some badass taquitos and smuggle them in, because I am a NINJA and they would never suspect that I would be doing such a dastardly thing.

    Be good, you guys! My thoughts are with ya both.

    -A!

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Siesh said…

    Get well soon, we're pullin' for ya!!! Sucks that you just get past the hard part and then this inconvenience happens.. Luckily it'll still be there to annoy the shit out of you when you get home.

    Good thoughts out to you as well Tim, and the rest of your family.

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get well soon Grandma!

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I read the site every day and just wanted to wish Grandma the best! Let her know I understand her frustration with the garden shears! It took me forever to get past that part. If I can remember how I did it, I'll post again.

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope you feel a lot better soon grandma, No one likes hospitals.

    I'm sure most of us would rather see grandma abuse the shit out of a game and kick its arse rather then her abusing nurses.... on the other hand...

    Nah Get well grandma psychonauts is waiting.

    Love peace and chicken grease

    J

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get better soon Grandma! I know you will; you're not Grandma Hardcore for nothing!

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Take it easy. There's only one "game over" in real life, so recharge your health bar.

    They might have a PS2/Gamecube cart in the hospital. Most of them have it in the kids area, and you have to ask to have it brought to your floor. Maybe she would find new love for the bedpan if she learns you can keep playing without having to get up. :)

    Seriously, best wishes. We need you to rock the recliner again soon, OGHC!

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Grandma, Get better damit!

    I will focus my energy towards you.

    Plus you still have to beat GOW on God mode.. ;)

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get well soon, we're all pullin' for you!

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Best wishes to you and especially to Grandma, Tim! It's true, I've demanded the game cart from the hospital and gotten it, after the kiddies in pediatrics had their turns. Don't know if she's tried it, but now's a good time for her to get in some Kindom Hearts 2 on the Game Boy.

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger Mark W. Hale said…

    Get better soon, G. It's tough to get knocked down and have to get help, especially when you've got shit to do like play games and read comics. Let 'em help, but don't take any crap.

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger Good Ol' WT said…

    For what it's worth, there are people praying for you here in Kansas. I have faith that nothing will keep you down for long.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey man,
    I just started reading this blog tonight. I found it over the myyahoo thingy. I am one of the refugees from mean old Katrina. I think it is awesome you want to come down and help out. Ohhh by the way your grandma seems pretty awesome. Tell her I said "Get well soon" and keep us posted.

    Bethany
    from Pascagoula, MS

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well for the love of god, i dont read the blog for one stinking day and look what happens! Granny, I know your gonna be okay cuz your a tough ol gal and this is just a little time out, i hope you are able to rest well, (hard to do in a hospital i know)and that you'll soon be home to your own chair and bed! Tim, hang in there hon, i think i can safely say we all here at OGHC got your back!! Love and prayers to you guys!!
    Colleen

     
  • At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope ya get powered up as good as new, Grandma! (And hang in there, Tim!)
    from
    Lisa in MN

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get well soon Grandma! *Big hugs*

     
  • At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Damn, I hope your grandmama okay! I love reading about her gaming exploits, and you guys are awesome. Let her know that people are pulling for her, okay?

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger foufymaus said…

    hey grandma,
    don't piss off the docs too much. soon you'll be playing the game again

    get well!!

    and tim, hang in there grandma will surprise you and soon you'll be back to cleaning up dog poo and playin video games very soon.

    mausie

     
  • At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Grandma,
    You can't bail on all of us now. Get well soon. And see if the family will bring in your gaming rig. I'll be awaiting your return....

     
  • At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been an avid reader since, well, basically the first post! I check everyday and it was a shock to hear that good old grandma could be knocked down at all! Get well soon and good luck finishing Psychonauts!

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Kirvi said…

    Oh Grandma - best wishes from all of us here in OK - bright white light at ya.

    Much love -
    ~Kirvi

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jesus Christ Grandma! I'm sorry. :( That is super scary! Hang in there (You too Tim!). *BIG hug!* You and your family will be in my thoughts.

    ~Steph~

    PS, sorry I'm so late, I didn't have a chance to check in last night! :( Get better Grandma. You make us all so happy!

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get well soon!

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Brinstar said…

    I hope things turn out well for her. Please get well soon.

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll be praying for you Grandma and for your doctors to find out what's wrong quickly.
    Take care of yourself.

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My mouth Diablo 3 Itemsdropped as i see the name of this article. That's scary. I really hope your own Grandmother receives outside of generally there soon, private hospitals draw. Billig WoW Gold Recover quickly!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home